A View From Middle England - Conservative with a slight libertarian touch - For Christian charity and traditional belief - Free Enterprise NOT Covert Corporatism

Friday, July 25, 2008

School's Out!

I've been off the air for almost two weeks. In my blogging experience that's quite a long time. It seems longer as I've been wrapped up in end of term activities at my son's school. He's leaving (well left now!) his infant school and going round to the primary school next term. For the end of term various activities were put on. I attended, with my wife, the "leavers' assembly". It was a very good show. No fluffed lines from what I could gather. It is a good school with the added advantage that most of the teachers have additional skills. One teacher galvanises the music activity, so the parents get to see a musical assembly. It is all good fun.

At the end of the proceedings, the Head Teacher got up to "say a few words". It was pointed out to the parents that, if a child went to nursery as well, most of the children had spent more that half their lives at the school! There was suddenly a lot of blinking and bewilderment as this piece of learning settled in! But of course she was right. In some ways the school had just become an extension of the high chair routine and the playpen, with subtle changes along the way. I for one have just gone along with the simple progressions, being helpfully cajoled (in the nicest possible way, of course) by the staff.

Next year will be different! I noticed the body language of the Head Teacher of the primary school was somewhat different. The message was that the children were growing up. It goes by quickly, but then we can't mollycoddle children. It will be a new phase of our lives!

0 comments:

Post a Comment