A View From Middle England - Conservative with a slight libertarian touch - For Christian charity and traditional belief - Free Enterprise NOT Covert Corporatism

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Teething problems? I'm whiter than white!

Having a grin that shows off your pearly white gnashers is the thing that most Americans assume is the ultimate in dental sophistication. Although I'm not sure there's much "sophos" about it, though.

The BBC has got a nice little piece about the comparison between British teeth and American ones. These whitened teeth, sometimes looking like a clinical makeover, are highly prized by the movers and shakers of the entertainment industry. But others are excited by it all too. One dental makeover said, "The first thing I notice on people is their smile. I wanted a confidence boost - I was putting my hand over my mouth before, now I can smile. And the compliments have come flooding in. People haven't noticed my teeth, but say I look well." Pity about not noticing the teeth, but is it all really necessary.

Good dental health is not about fake teeth, but fine teeth. No human tooth comes whiter than white. Simon Cowell has been promoted as a perfect specimen of white teeth, but they just give me the impression he's become like a Madame Tussaud's character.

It amuses me about some Americans' desire for the perfect body. Does it matter? In a country that professes to hold Christian truths dear, what does such vanity tell us about those with white grinders behind the grins?

0 comments:

Post a Comment