A View From Middle England - Conservative with a slight libertarian touch - For Christian charity and traditional belief - Free Enterprise NOT Covert Corporatism

Friday, April 15, 2011

Are You Being Served? star Trevor Bannister dies at 76

"Are You Free, Mr.Humpries?"
Sad day for fans of Are You Being Served? Trevor Bannister has died aged 76, his brother has confirmed. The actor suffered a heart attack on Thursday at his allotment in Thames Ditton, Surrey, John Bannister said.

The series was a great hit and still is. I remember being told by American fans in Atlanta that this sort of humour appealed to them but they were not thought capable of understanding it by the main US networks (or maybe the main networks don't understand the Americans I meet!). So it was up to PBS to put it on. Something Georgia Public Television is still doing, I see!

Trevor Bannister was a great stage actor, fantastic pantomime star and an all-round comedic television person. He also appeared in Last of The Summer Wine. He joins Mollie Sugden, John Inman, Arthur English, Wendy Richard, oh the list is long, as fondly remembered entertainers.

1 comments:

Let me comment as an American with a clear respect and liking for my English roots and friends.

My favorite TV show is Doctor Who. I first saw it in the 1970s when Tom Baker played The Doctor and fell in love with it. A few years back when I told a friend from England that I identified a bit with The Doctor, he, smiling, replied that he was a real eccentric!

Some other British shows I have seen over here are Sherlock Holmes and Poirot. I much prefer them to American law and order TV shows.

Reality TV? Forget it.

What American shows do I like? Well, Star Trek, of course. I must note, though, that Patrick Stewart played Captain Jean Luc Picard in the Star Trek: The Next Generation. I've started enjoying 30 Rock and The Big Bang Theory. English cousins got me to try House. I like the few episodes I've seen.

I did manage to see some episodes of Are You Being Served over here. I really enjoyed them.

I am different from most Americans. The people I know who enjoy British TV also seem different from most Americans. I would not be surprised if the Americans that you know are also different from most Americans.

By the way, I really like your blog.

Post a Comment