A View From Middle England - Conservative with a slight libertarian touch - For Christian charity and traditional belief - Free Enterprise NOT Covert Corporatism

Monday, April 18, 2011

What's the point of "best before" dates?

"It's good in parts"
This question is posed by the BBC News Magazine - "Best-before" dates on food could be reformed, the UK government has indicated. But what purpose do they actually serve?"

None at all in many cases. We found some Safeway couscous in the cupboard. "Best before 24 Nov 2001" it says. As far as I can tell it's still very much OK. Why waste it. My nose usually tells me what's OK and not. And my taste buds. The things to watch out for are these reduced fat items. They've even gone off before stores reduce the prices. Reduced fat egg mayonnaise - don't bother! Also, guacamole can get very sharp on the tongue well before its sell-by-date.

I tried to get Sainsbury's to sell me sausages that were "yesterday's date" but they claimed all manner of retribution might befall them from the powers-that-be if they did. I guarantee you there was nothing wrong with those sausages. All that happened to them was Veolia got them and dumped them. Great shame!

See this too:- http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1024879/The-best-challenge---One-man-boldly-goes-use-dates-food.html

0 comments:

Post a Comment