A View From Middle England - Conservative with a slight libertarian touch - For Christian charity and traditional belief - Free Enterprise NOT Covert Corporatism

Friday, July 08, 2011

Salma Yaqoob to quit as Birmingham Respect councillor

I've just seen on Salma Yaqoob's website that she is quitting as Respect Party councillor for Sparkbrook on Birmingham City Council. She says -

"This week I told party members, friends and supporters of my decision to resign as the Councillor for Sparkbrook. It has not been an easy decision, but it is one that I have had to make in the interests of my health.

Salma Yaqoob on BBC Question Time
For some time now those close to me have been very aware that I have been battling with health issues. Unfortunately over the past 12 months it has taken a turn for the worse. I have found it increasingly difficult to keep up with my very busy schedule, and to satisfactorily fulfil the commitments that my role demands.

As a result of my worsening health I simply cannot continue to represent Sparkbrook in the way that I think its people deserve."

She doesn't say what is wrong, but it is obviously quite serious. Whilst not being on her side of the fence in politics I never the less have found her to be a principled fighter. I was quite miffed she failed to be elected as an MP. We need a few MPs that are not in the mainstream to talk up the issues in a different light. I hope she is able to be restored to good health very soon.

0 comments:

Post a Comment