A View From Middle England - Conservative with a slight libertarian touch - For Christian charity and traditional belief - Free Enterprise NOT Covert Corporatism

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Bill actor Colin Tarrant dies suddenly at 59

Colin Tarrant dies aged 59 in Bristol
When one gets to a certain age the news of a death comes as a surprise. Then it becomes something to be expected. When one of my great aunts or uncles died, it was expected. "The old trout had a good innings!" was one remark I well remember my uncle saying of one, seemingly loved and respected, great-aunt. However, I'm not yet at an age when I expect death, although I know I shouldn't single myself out for special treatment for inclusion in the centenarians' club. Maybe it's the time and period we live in, expecting rude and robust health for ever.

Anyway, I was quite shocked to hear of Colin Tarrant's sudden death. He was one of the mainstay's of The Bill, a very talented actor. I once saw also him in a comedic role and he was very good. But he was only 59, younger than me. Sudden death is always a shock, yet it is a sudden death I'm looking forward to myself. Now that may seem selfish, as those left behind will be shocked themselves and no doubt a trifle upset. I hope so anyway. But I will be gone. No worries about being prodded and poked by carers and the like. Woken up to eat indifferent meals. Watching TV perched up in bed. Or not as the case may be. If I do get bedridden, I'd prefer a dose of dementia just to get by. Now dementia is very distressing for those who witness it, myself included. But I seem to think that those it inflicts are not necessarily that unhappy. I would be bored stiff if I had little or no movement and had to endure endless prattle from nurses and doctors about my "condition".

I was shocked about Colin Tarrant. But he can rest in peace now without the endurance of pain and bodily ailments. That is a mercy. He leaves memories of excellent acting and of being, as West End theatre producer David Pugh says in a tribute, "a lovely man, he loved the theatre, his politics and his family". What more could be said.

0 comments:

Post a Comment